Tuesday, February 5, 2013

West African Chicken Soup


Another cold and snowy week here in southwestern Ontario - we're in the thick of winter.  It's just one of those curl-up-with-a-hot-mug-of-tea kinda days ... and nothing better to warm the soul than West African Chicken Soup (which happens to be gluten-free), with it's savoury chicken, tomatoes and curry - MMMMMM!

This recipe came from my dear childhood friend, Lisa. I remember the first time she made it - so rich and hearty, yet surprisingly light.  Just AMAZING!  The recipe sounds a little different ... but don't let the peanut butter fool you.  It adds just the right touch to the curry!

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 chicken breasts, cubed
1 cup onion, choppe
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
3 tablespoons tomato paste
28 oz can stewed tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (Skippy Natural is our favourite!)
salt and pepper to taste


Sauté chicken, onion and garlic in olive oil until chicken is browned and cooked through. Add curry, salt and pepper and cook for another minute.


Stir in tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, broth and peanut butter.


Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, covered.


Perfect for a chilly night by the fire!

1 comment:

  1. I am out of town and wanted to make this soup, but I don't have my recipe book with me. I searched your Facebook posts to see if I could find the recipe I sent you. Yeah! This is it and you did a lovely job writing up the blog post about it. Miss you...hope you are staying warm.

    ReplyDelete