Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Simple Granola


To me, good granola starts with good ingredients.  It's simple, crunchy and slightly sweet ... yet hearty enough to fill me up with only a handful.  I love adding it to probiotic yogurt for breakfast on the fly (extra amazing if you have IBS).  It also makes a great afternoon snack when you get the munchies.

This simple granola is my go-to recipe and I love it because the ingredients are so versatile.  You can use any combination of nuts and seeds and interchange the honey with maple syrup for a completely different flavour.

Here's a little info on the ingredients I use the most ...


Chia Seeds - contain omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fibre, antioxidants, and calcium.  They swell in your stomach and keep you full.
 
 

Almonds - protein and fibre powerhouse.


Organic Coconut Oil - fat source that's converted into energy rather than stored. People who have trouble digesting fat find it easier to digest than other oils ... making it perfect if you've had your gallbladder removed like me.

INGREDIENTS
4 cups oats (use wheat-free if you are gluten intolerant)
1/4 cup chia seed or flax seed/meal
1 cup raw almonds, chopped
1 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional ... you can even add more if you LOVE cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Mix all ingredients together in large bowl.  Stir well to coat.


Spread evenly over a slipat or nonstick baking surface (this is very important).  I find using a silpat the easiest way to keep it from sticking to the baking sheet.

Bake for 12 minutes.  Pull out of the oven and stir.  Bake for another 15 minutes.


As soon as the granola comes out of the oven, scrape it off onto a cold non-stick baking sheet - I use my nonstick griddle pan because of it's super-non-stickability. :)  If you don't do this step, when it cools the granola will become part of the pan you baked it on.  It takes about 15 -20 minutes to cool completely.


Here's it is atop my probiotic yogurt this morning.  The nuts get just slightly toasted ... mmmm!!  I really can't say enough how yummy and how filling this granola is.

Store in an airtight container.  Not sure how long it keeps ... it's never around long enough to find out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment