Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Rice Pudding


I grew up on custard and pudding - to me it tastes like home. Every warm and creamy spoonful brings back so many memories. My dad made "cook and serve" all the time ... and my mom made a variety of homemade comforts like tapioca, bread pudding, and, of course, rice pudding. My grandma was the custard lady - vanilla, pumpkin ... you name it! 

So, that leads me here.  I want Morgan to have the same kind of warm memories of home ... memories and recipes she can share with her kids.  I have to make sure that even though we're busy, I take the time to make these special treats.  And let's face it, special treats are different once you eliminate gluten from your diet.  To my delight, this one just happens to be naturally gluten-free. :)

I love that you can make this recipe dairy-free as well.  The coconut milk gives it a subtle coconut-ty flavour that really compliments the vanilla.  It's not too sweet either - just right!

Serve this treat with some fresh fruit and an extra drizzle of maple syrup or honey ... and maybe even a dollop of coconut whipped cream, if you happen to have some on-hand.

INGREDIENTS
2 - 14 oz cans light coconut milk - Trader Joe's is the BEST (you can use 4 cups of regular milk instead if you don't have any coconut milk on-hand)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup or honey
3/4 cup uncooked short-grained white rice, rinsed (NOT Minute Rice)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Optional: 1/2 cup golden raisins


Bring coconut milk and maple syrup or honey to a simmer.


Just before it boils, add the rice (and the raisins, if using).  Turn heat to low, and cover, leaving the lid slightly ajar so steam can escape (if you don't, it will overflow ... and what a terrible mess THAT is).



Stir often until the rice is cooked through and the mixture is thickened - about 20-30 minutes, depending on your rice.


Crack egg into a small bowl, slowly whisk in a few spoonfuls of the hot rice mixture to temper the egg, then add it into the pudding along with the vanilla.


Spoon into ramekins or small serving bowls.  Eat warm or cold ... and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment